long command executed via a variable fails

Hello,

I've got a problem with a shell script used with Cygwin 1.5.10-3 on W2000 SP4 and W XP SP 2.

The following part of code works on all the Unix I've tested (HP-UX/AIX/Sun Solaris/Linux).

With Cygwin, it doesn't :(

*Code:*

cmd="long shell command with differents parameters"
if [ ! eval $cmd ]; then
 echo "Error : $cmd"
 exit 1
fi

instead of eval $cmd, i've tried :
- `eval $cmd`
- eval `$cmd`
- $cmd
- `$cmd`

I've also try with a function without more success.

*Code:*

execCmd()
{
 eval $cmd
 return $?
}

cmd="long shell command with differents parameters"
if [ ! execCmd ]; then
 echo "Error : $cmd"
 exit 1
fi

The only way I've find is :

*Code:*

cmd="long shell command with differents parameters"
eval $cmd
if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
 echo "Error : $cmd"
 exit 1
fi

Is it possible to make it work like the two first exemple or I'm obliged to use the third solution ?

Thanks in advance,

Geoffrey