RE: Grep and matching end of line (anchoring)

  Wow, that's interesting, and very very useful.  I'd never heard of lnext
until now!  Of course if you press ctrl+M, it sends the line; same if you
press ALT+013.

> I used the word "should" because I did not test in all
> combinations of text
> and binary mounts and line endings.  I'm sorry if that choice
> of word was too ambiguous or subtle.

  No, that word had nothing to do with my misunderstanding.  It was entirely
because of this bit:

> I did not think that grep understood ^M -- I assumed that the
> readers in
> this list would understand it.  Personally I've never seen
> the two character
> ^M used for inputting a \r.

  ^ notation is the standard used by stty for describing control chars.  I'm
not sure what other apps may or may not speak it, but that's why I thought
that was what you were attempting.

>  It has, in my experience, always
> been used to
> indicate a \r in output or when viewing a file in a hex
> editor so I thought
> that it would be understood.  I apologize for not being explicit.

  Apologies aren't necessary, but explanations are wonderful things!

    cheers,
      DaveK