Ahhhhh!

I just updated my version of Cygwin and all hell broke loose.
Unfortunatly I do not know what version of cygwin I had before, but I
now know that the one that I do have is not working.  I've tried
version 1.5.12-1 and 1.5.11-1 (I was trying to go back).

I used the Cygwin Setup programme and things went wrong from the
start.  The programme crashed and I couldn't use any of the cygwin
utils.  Even after restart.  I deleted the cygwin1.dll and reinstalled
and things went more smoothly.  But when I tried to run a perl script
that I had always used, it belched this out:

  c:\progra~1\cygwin\bin\perl.exe (1132): *** couldn't release memory 0xCE4000(1032192) for 'C:\progra~1\cygwin\lib\perl5\5.8.5\cygwin-thread-multi-64int\auto\IO\IO.dll' alignment, Win32 error 487

      101 [main] perl 1520 sync_with_child: child 1132(0x28C) died before initialization with status code 0x1
      272 [main] perl 1520 sync_with_child: *** child state child loading dlls

This appears to be caused by the implicit fork in the line:

  open (INPUT, 'cvs log |') or die ("Couldn't execute cvs command.  $!");

I've looked around the net and found that this problem was addressed previously:

  On Sat, Apr 14, 2001 at 04:49:43PM +1000, Robert Collins wrote:
> [...]

  This error means that Cygwin was trying to relocate a DLL load point in
  a child process to the same location as it existed in the parent and was
  unsuccesful in doing so.  The 487 error means "Invalid address".  That
  may that that the memory is already occupied.

  There's not much that can be done to rectify this, unfortunately.
  Possibly if someone really wants to debug this situation there might be
  something that will be obvious but it is pretty painful to debug,
  unfortunately.

  I added this dll relocation stuff last year to help with perl.  It
  wasn't fun.

  cgf

However this was some time ago.

The Os that I am using is Win2K, and has not changed when I tried to update my cygwin.

Is there anything that can be done?  Is there a way to go back further
to an earlier verion that works?

Any help you could give me would be appreciated.

Adrian