Re: PATH and SystemRoot oddity

Brian Dessent wrote:
Luke Kendall wrote:

I see that by default PATH includes some entries like
%SystemRoot%/System32

I also note that $SystemRoot is undefined, yet $SYSTEMROOT contains the
expected C:\WINDOWS value.

This of course causes problems.  Would a backslash-style path work
correctly if it were properly interpolated into the PATH?  Is the %
notation special magic for Cygwin to handle DOS-isms?

The case variance may be of interest, in that case.

I think you're falsely attributing your errors to this.  The cygwin DLL
takes care of all the win32 -> posix translation of the path, and it
knows about %SystemRoot%.  If this were really the case don't you think
tons of things would break?  Try "echo $PATH" at your shell prompt and
you'll see that the systemroot is correctly substituted.

FWIW, I think environment variables are case-insensitive at the win32
API level.  They preserve case but are not sensitive to it, just like
ntfs.

Brian

I have a similar question: I had to modify 'profile' to change $PATH=xxxx:$PATH to $PATH=xxxx

How can I simply add $SYSTEMROOT:$SYSTEMROOT/system32 to this? It doesn't work as-is because $SYSTEMROOT = C:\Windows (and this is therefore not interpreted by the path). Rephrasing, what do I use to translate "C:\WINDOWS" to "/cygdrive/c/windows"?

I had to do this because some nasty things in my path were causing problems (e.g. ClearQuest/ClearCase)

TIA,
Jason.