Re: A vexing installation problem

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 05:22:28PM -0500, Larry Hall wrote:

> >File permissions appear ok as far as I can tell.  The 'strace' output
> >seems consistent with no permission problems; I'm able to execute all
> >commands, cygwin1.dll is found, and things run for a short while
> >before dying.
>
> But with no output, right?  No dump file, nothing?

Correct.

> >'strace sh.exe' looks like any other command I try:

> >  564  105230 [main] bash 3892 cygheap_user::ontherange: what 2, pw 0xA0510C8
> >  224  105454 [main] bash 3892 cygheap_user::ontherange: HOME is already in the environment /cygdrive/h
> >  756  106210 [main] bash 3892 sigproc_init: process/signal handling enabled(1001)
> >  365  106575 [main] bash 3892 __cygwin_lock_lock: threadcount 1. not locking
> >  304  106879 [main] bash 3892 __cygwin_lock_unlock: threadcount 1. not unlocking
>

> This isn't the strace of 'sh.exe'.  It's the strace of 'bash.exe'.  Can
> you try 'sh.exe' and see if it's different.  FWIW, the lines you provided
> above I can find in my strace of 'bash.exe'.  Mine goes on however.

You're right.  The output for 'sh.exe' is identical to 'bash.exe' with
'sh' substituted for 'bash'.

> If you have 1.5.5 now that works for you, you can use that to bootstrap
> your build and get a debug version of the current DLL to look at and
> debug into.  That might be your best bet.  You can definitely get more
> context that way, if you're so inclined.

I do not have a fully functional 1.5.5 installation; all I could find
was a tarball that includes a few commands (ps, kill, regtool, dumper,
mount/umount, setfacl/getfacl, passwd, mkpasswd, mkgroup, cygpath, and
cygcheck).  The combination of unavailability of old distributions,
and unavailability of a debug version of the current DLL, is kind of a
pisser.

I've got another system on my desk (also XP SP2) with the latest
Cygwin that works fine.  That system has a clean OS install; the one
with problems has been upgraded over several years by Windows Update.
I can try to build a debug DLL on that system but had hoped for a
quicker diagnosis.

-- Dave