RE: Patch to /etc/profile to deal with $HOME with a space

Hi John,

John Morrison wrote on Wednesday, December 01, 2004 12:32 PM:
>> mkpasswd.exe -l -c | sed 's/cygdrive\/.*Documents and Settings/home/'
>> > /etc/passwd
>>
>> This is nonsense. "Documents and Settings" is localized.
>
> Humm, not nonsense (it works for English), maybe not
> correct... (is this retrievable for replacement?)

May also not work for English, "cygdrive" is just a default value and is settable. In case of my system:

 $ mount -p
 Prefix              Type         Flags
 /mnt                system       binmode

You may *assume* it is called "cygdrive" for a new installation, but if there are registry entries left from an old one ...

> Anyway, the idea (if not the impl) stands, when a network
> user installs cygwin HOME is set to doc & settings.  When a
> local user installs HOME is set to /home/user.  So, should
> network user functionality be changed? (assuming it's
> possible to get the localisation)

 $ cygpath -H

Personally I use a mount for home:

 $ mount
 C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen on /home type system (binmode)

But this is *my* preference only (and applies not for Win95, Win 98, Win NT etc. anyway). Additionally in the pattern /home/user may not apply for newer Win OSses also, since the user's profile directory may not have the name of the user and unfortunately this information cannot be retrieved from cygpath, you may read directly from the registry.

- Jörg