[Fwd: [rurban@x-ray.at: ssh-host-config CYGWIN quoting]]

[Still catching up on old mail]

Hmm, I don't quite see where the current solution fails to do the right
thing(tm):

$ cygrunsrv -I TESTsshd -p /usr/sbin/sshd -a -D -e "CYGWIN=tty binmode codepage:oem"
$ net start TESTsshd
The TESTsshd service is starting.
The TESTsshd service was started successfully.

$ ssh localhost
Last login: Thu Dec  9 18:35:30 2004 from [...]
$ echo $CYGWIN
tty binmode codepage:oem

> **********
>
> And then I have this service --interactive question:
> My favorite term is putty which allows compared to cmd.exe or rxvt.exe
> better mouse selection of an over-long commandline. Also some more
> goodies like signals, and visual bell.
>
> So I usually ssh to localhost, instead of open my cmd-bash.
> Therefore I had to add --interactive to sshd otherwise no GUI programs
> like insight or setup will appear if started from my putty terms.
>
> Is it technically possible for sshd to detect if run as service and
> forbid external connections somehow to use the desktop?
> Only allow local connections --interactive?
> Something like a new /etc/sshd_config setting:
> #Win32InteractiveLocalOnly
----- End forwarded message -----

That would be a generic change to OpenSSH and /etc/sshd_config.  I doubt
you'd get this approved by the upstream maintainers.  I see your point,
but that's nothing which belongs into OpenSSH.

Suggestion: Start two sshds, one on port 22 and non-interactive for
external connections, one on port 2222 and interactive for local
connections.  This solves the problem w/o changing OpenSSH sources.

Corinna