Re: find crashes in /proc/registry

Igor Pechtchanski schrieb:
On Tue, 14 Dec 2004, Reini Urban wrote:
Chuck schrieb:
Christopher Faylor wrote:
| On Mon, Dec 13, 2004 at 04:52:31PM -0500, Chuck wrote:
|>I don't know if this has been reported before
|
| It has.
| The conclusion?
| Don't use find on /proc.

Are there any plans to fix it? Thanks.

How? '*' is by POSIX definition an invalid filename character. '*' is by MS definition a valid registry key, which is mapped into a virtual file-system.

'*' is a valid filename character (if not, please cite the part of POSIX
that claims that).  AFAIK, the only invalid filename character is '/',
which is a directory separator.  The problem with /proc/registry is that
'/' is a valid value name character, so keys like
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Cygnus Solutions\Cygwin\mounts v2\/usr/bin"
end up as "/proc/registry/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Cygnus\
Solutions/Cygwin/mounts\ v2'/usr/bin'", which any Cygwin program
(including bash) will choke on.

Yep, sorry for wrong posts. I mixed that up with FAT/NTFS limitations. Which have nothing to do with our proc_fs.

If the findutils maintainer decides to add a /proc/registry patch to
make '*' a valid filename char, other fileutils should be fixed also.
ls and cat at least.

So it should be better "fixed" in cygwin. How?
Make it a valid file character there?
How not to break all other file-,find-,text-,shellutils then, which will have
to deal with this and glob expansion.

Replace it by some other character? Which?

If there's a solution, it should probably have something in common with managed mounts...

Just a simple find patch is needed. -- Reini Urban