Re: Piping output from sqlplus

Christopher Faylor wrote:

|>>cygwin ksh is pdksh. The specific set of code you gave does not work in
|>>pdksh. Read about it here:
|>>http://web.cs.mun.ca/~michael/pdksh/
|>>
|>>"Its weak points are that there are still a few differences from ksh88
|>>(the major one is that `echo hi | read x' does not set x in the current
|>>shell - the read is done in a separate process). See the NOTES file in
|>>the distribution for more details."
|>>
|>>You can get a Cygwin ksh from www.kornshell.com
|>>

|>This is working just perfectly thanks. I would like to note (for the
|>archives) that this ksh does not support the -l option. If you want to
|>use it for a login shell so that it runs /etc/profile and $HOME/.profile
|>automatically, make a copy of it named -ksh and run that from your
|>windows batch file. I tried just creating a symlink named -ksh first,
|>but Windows didn't like it.
|

| I'd like to note for the archives also that I'd like to get the real
version
| of ksh into the cygwin distribution.
|
| This comes up from time to time.  The first time it happened someone
was insisting
| that they needed to change the Cygwin DLL for this to happen and I had
reservations
| about the licensing status of some of the changes since the person had
also seen
| U/WIN sources.  Then, somehow, ksh was built without the need to
change cygwin and
| a cygwin ksh package was going to show up any second now.
|
| Well, years later, we still don't have a ksh.
|
| Anyone want to take the plunge?
|
| cgf

I have come across one other problem with ksh'93 for Cygwin from
www.kornshell.com. It chokes on path names that don't follow the pure
unix convention. For example c:/oracle/ora92 causes problems but
/cygdrive/c/oracle/ora92 does not.

It doesn't like //server_name/share_name either.

I need a korn shell that will handle the windows-like path names
(pdksh),  and where "read" executes in the same shell that called it
(ksh '93).