Setting $HOME for Windows

I remember reading some time ago a vague admonition against manually
setting $HOME as a Windows environment variable.

I can't seem to find the message, so if someone can elaborate on why
this is A Bad Thing, I'd appreciate it.  This is for those of us
pursuing the Holy Grail of integrating Cygwin with Windows (or,
depending on one's view, Windows with Cygwin), and doing our best to
ignore the less-than-holy %USERPROFILE% construct.

--
George