Re: running a DOS batch file from a shell script - script doesn't wait for batch file to complete before continuing

Hi Larry,

Since you were the only person who was kind enough to take the time to respond
to my initial question, I owe it to you to provide a followup on this subject.

I wrote a few DOS batch files as well as shell scripts to try and troubleshoot the
problem. I managed to track down the problem to the Pro/E executable pro_batch_t.exe.
Depending on whether the "-text" option is provided to pro_batch.bat, it will either
run the UI executable or the command-line executable pro_batch_t.exe.

The problem seems to come from pro_batch_t.exe. This program apparently
wants to run in the background and therefore it doesn't matter whether you
invoke it from a DOS batch file or a Cygwin shell script, the batch file/script will
continue to run before pro_batch_t.exe terminates. The version of Pro/E in
question is Release 20.

To solve my problem, I added two loops to my scripts, one to check for the
presence of the log file pro_batch.log.1 every 5 seconds and upon detecting
it checks every 5 seconds for the keyword "Result" which is the last line of
pro_batch.log.1 when pro_batch_t.exe is completed. It seems to do the job.

Andy

At 23:46 12/09/04 -0500, you wrote:
At 11:22 PM 12/9/2004, you wrote:
>I guess I should have been more specific with my original posting...
>
>I was running pro_batch in command-line mode (pro_batch -text ...) and not
>interactive mode, i.e. not using the GUI at all. I thought it was implied since
>I was talking about running a shell script and a batch file. The shell script
>actually constructs the command-line and input file automatically and then
>kicks off the DOS batch file. The script is supposed to monitor to contents
>of the file pro_batch.log.1 afterwards but it started to parse the file contents
>even before the DOS batch file is completed. If I forced a long wait by adding
>a "sleep 300" after the DOS batch file command, parsing was done properly.
>However, I cannot set a fix wait time as it depends on the complexity of the
>Pro/E assembly.
>
>You are correct in that the pro_batch interactive mode does work.

Well, I guess I need a simple example then. So far, everything I've tried works fine.

Holliston, MA 01746