Why is cygwin cvs client so slow?

Can anyone speculate as to why cygwin cvs is so much slower than their
native windows equivalents?

In short, 'cvs update' using cygwin cvs takes 7-9 times as long to do
the same task as a non-cygwin port of cvs from www.cvshome.org/.

To update a missing directory that contains almost 3000 files, cygwin
cvs takes more than 21 minutes.  The 'native' cvs from cvshome.com takes
just under 3 minutes to do the same thing on the same file system, from
the same server.  Details are below.

Am I missing some environment variable, like export CVS_GO_FAST="yes"?
I hope 700% degradation in performance is too steep a price to pay for
unix-like tools.

-csw at well dot com

# all filesystems are mounted in text mode.
#
$ mount
C:\cygwin\bin on /usr/bin type system (textmode)
C:\cygwin\lib on /usr/lib type system (textmode)
C:\cygwin on / type system (textmode)
c: on /cygdrive/c type system (textmode,noumount)
p: on /cygdrive/p type system (textmode,noumount)
z: on /cygdrive/z type system (textmode,noumount)

# current directory is on am SMB share (served by Samba, I believe)
#
$ pwd
/cygdrive/z/home/user/tot/src/wl

# I am using pserver served by a linux box
#
$ echo $CVSROOT
:pserver:user@somemachine:/projects/cvsroot

# I have up-to-date packages
$ cygcheck -c
Cygwin Package Information
Package              Version            Status
[...]
base-files           3.1-4              OK
[...]
coreutils            5.2.1-5            OK
[...]
cvs                  1.11.17-1          OK
cygutils             1.2.5-1            OK
cygwin               1.5.12-1           OK
[...]

# the cvs from cygwin is version 1.11.17
$ cvs -v

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.17 (client/server)
[...]

# remove a directory and let cvs update it again.
$ rm -rf locale
$ time cvs update -d locale
[...2982 files...]
real    21m20.478s
user    0m7.765s
sys     0m38.546s

# the cvs from cvshome.com is also version 1.11.17
$ cyclic-cvs -v

Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.11.17 (client)
[...]

# remove a directory and let cvs update it again.
$ rm -rf locale
$ time cyclic-cvs update -d locale
[...2982 files...]
real    2m55.287s