Re: Another spurious "multiple copies of cygwin1.dll" -- this time in perl

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 11:51:09AM -0800, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 10:30:50AM -0500, fbartlet@optonline.net wrote:
>> I can install and run cygwin, but (at least) one application won't work either under cygwin or cygwin/x. When I run perl, I get the message
>>
>> C:\cygwin\bin\perl.exe (2208): *** cygheap version mismatch detected - 0x6179000
>> 0/0xBF0000.
>
>0x61790000
>0xBF0000
>
>Can't say what those numbers *should* look like, but they don't look
>like version numbers in the same versioning scheme.
>
>Perhaps a wild pointer smashing things - that is, a problem with
>your application.  Have you tried it under valgrind on linux (or
>similar tools)?  I note that 0x61790000 is "\0\0ya"; are you working
>with any strings that start "ya"?

That number reflects a dll load addresses.  Cygwin usually loads at
0x6100000 and the cygheap is contiguous with the DLL.

If something is forcing cygwin to load at 0xB?0000 then it is a rebasing
problem with some dll which is occupying the space that the cygwin dll
normally occupies.  Either that or there is another version of the
cygwin dll on the system.

So, these are not actual version numbers.  The error message is just
reporting that it thinks it has detected two different versions of
cygwin.  The hexadecimal numbers are intended to provide a clue to
someone who knows what is going on with cygwin.  The actual error
message mentions what an end user should do to correct the problem in
99% of the cases.