Re: fortune maintainer wanted and question for Corinna (was Re: Obscene content in cygwin file.)

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 08:40:16PM -0800, Yitzchak Scott-Thoennes wrote:
>On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 11:26:08PM -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 02:36:53PM +1100, Kal.Dee@csiro.au wrote:
>>>Not sure if the highly obscene limericks (/usr/share/fortune/limerick)
>>>are meant to be in the cygwin distro...
>>
>>Wow.  I think I vaguely recall that something like this was in fortune
>>but, if I thought it was a good idea a couple of years ago, I have
>>obviously grown more prudish since then.
>>
>>AFAICT, our fortune maintainer is long gone so I guess we're looking
>>for a volunteer who would like to take up this package.  I don't know
>>about Corinna but I don't like having this type of thing in the
>>distribution.
>>
>>Corinna, you originally released this.  Where did you find it?  Did you
>>just package it up directly from a BSD distribution?
>
>Reading /usr/doc/fortune-1.8/Notes and /usr/doc/fortune-1.8/README
>would imply that limericks should be limericks-o (and rot13'd).  Then
>it will only be actually accessed if you use fortune -a or fortune -o.
>
>I'd be willing to maintain it, but haven't maintained a package before
>or even read the information about how to, so it would take me a little
>bit to release a new version.
>
>I too would be interested in knowing where the package came from.  It
>doesn't seem to say anywhere (except that the Notes and README have
>NetBSD rcs tags).

FWIW, it's in the FreeBSD CVS repository:

cvs -d :ext:freebsdanoncvs@anoncvs.FreeBSD.org:/home/ncvs co src/games/fortune

may check this out.  I don't know for sure since I haven't updated this
directory in a while.

Maintaining this should not be hard.  I suspect it may build OOTB.  Thanks
for considering it.

cgf