RE: cygwin and mkpasswd unable to recognize a domain user

I acted on the following recommendations.

> There are three things here.
> - One is a quoting problem in /etc/profile that causes the cp error.
> - The second is the "mkpassd_l_d" group name. That is the name invented by
mkgroup, as it can't access the domain
> controller to get the real group name. Simply edit /etc/group and change
the group to anything you fancy.
> - The third is the home directory, which is setup by mkpasswd -c from
HOMEDRIVE/HOMEPATH. Simply edit /etc/passwd and set > it as you like,
> or redo "mkpasswd -l -c -p /home > /etc/passwd ".

This helped a great deal and perhaps all the cygwin issues have now been
resolved. I can now start a bash window under my domain user id. without
getting any errors messages. The home directory is where it should be.

Thanks much for taking me this far, Pierre.

But I'm still having problems with my ultimate objective which is to be able
to build gcc under my domain log in. I have been able to do this with cygwin
under a local administrator log in. But when I try using the domain log-in
it fails pretty early, during the stage of configuring binutils-i686-elf.
This symptom may be outside the realm of just getting cygwin to work. But
what surprises me is that the gcc build works fine under the local user id.
It just crashes under the domain user id.

The gcc build problem shows up as a windows process crash message as
follows.

"cc1.exe - Application Error
The applicaton failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022). Clikc on OK to
terminate the application."

Any thoughts on that?

Jed