Re: Multiple installations and 3PPs

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 06:07:52PM +0000, Adrian Cox wrote:
>On Fri, 2005-01-14 at 12:15 -0500, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>
>I don't understand why it is a goal to have only one version of
>cygwin1.dll in use at a single time.  I'd like to create separate
>Cygwin universes, with no communication between them except via IP
>networking.

That is a very odd requirement.  It sounds like you should be
investigating vmware.  Either that or you are venturing into territory
beyond your current expertise or understanding.

OTOH, if you aren't installing any services, you could probably get away
with running cygwin under different accounts with user-mode mounts.

>>This is rather like asking "Has anyone found a way to put sound
>>deadening foam over the little thing that chimes when you're not
>>wearing your seatbelt?" The warnings are there for a reason, not
>>because we couldn't figure out how to name the shared memory region to
>>avoid clashes.  The problem isn't as simple as trying to avoid shared
>>memory clashes.
>
>So what are the other problems?

Look at the source.  grep for multiple_cygwin_problem that will show you
most of the problem spots.

cgf