Re: cygwin bughunt

Larry Hall wrote:

> I have the following suggestions/questions:

>  1. Did you try a Cygwin 1.5.12 or even a snapshot?

No.  I'm using 1.5.10, and it still smells *real* fresh, I think ;-).

Also, the problem only occurs on a customer system which unfortunately
I can't go around and upgrade all the time "just to see".
I don't have regular access to it either.

>  2. Is this a local debug build of Cygwin or stock 1.5.10.  If the
>     latter, you might find building a debug version is more help.

Stock 1.5.10.
There's a debug version?  These are the things I need to know!
Found the "how-to-debug-cygwin" document buried deep in some bz2 file,
I'll go read that now.

In the above statement, you sort-of imply that building a debug version
is wrong if using a stock version..  I should do what then?

> If there is a race issue here, you're going to need to work with the
> code to find it.

That's what I'm basically trying to do.
Tracking it down with GDB to cygwin_split_path() : 0x61073e06 was easy.
But then I'm kinda stuck.

Stuff that would be REALLY nice to know would for example be:
 - How do I find the call parameters to this function when it died?
   I poked around all the "info locals/variables" etc. commands in GDB
   and they basically just tell me that there's none to be found.
 - How do I translate "cygwin_split_path() : 0x61073e06" to a source
   file name and a line number?

Thank you for the suggestions (please bring more ;-))!
/david