Re: Why does cygwin1.dll use NtCreateFile() instead of CreateFile()

Dan Ch schrieb:
Thank you for providing some information.  But I do not understand
what types of objects require read permission in order to successfully
open with SYNCHRONIZE access.  On Windows XP Professional SP2, using
CreateFile(...,GENERIC_WRITE | SYNCHRONIZE, ...) to open an ordinary
file on a local drive that has write-only permissions does not seem
to be a problem.  I am primarily interested in the "buggy behavior"
that a user would experience if CreateFile() was used instead
of NtCreateFile().

Special filenames in subdirs like con,prn,aux,nul,lpt1 et al do not work with CreateFile(), but do work as plain files with NtCreateFile().

See attached test.
--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/home/rurban/