Re: df and floppy seeks

> Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 06:28:33 -0700
> From: Eric Blake <ebb9@byu.net>
> To:  tlhall@keepandbeararms.com
> CC:  cygwin@cygwin.com
> Subject: df and floppy seeks [was: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: findutils-20041227-1]

> According to Tom Hall on 2/27/2005 2:50 PM:
> >
> > You're right. After rebooting, the floppy seek stuff came back with df.
> > Back to "subst a: c:" in my cygwin.bat :-(
>
> So, what are the symptoms of the df floppy seek stuff?  Which version of
> coreutils are you using?  More details would be nice, so I can determine
> if it is normal behavior or if I need to patch df.

I have Cygwin installed in pretty much the default way, c:\cygwin, etc.

When I want to see how full my c: drive is I run "df ." from any
directory that's on my c: drive - typically my home directory.
The symptom is that my computer goes "clackity clackity clackity clack",
and the floppy access light comes on. Same thing happens if I do things
like "df /home/tom", "df /cygdrive/c", or even "df /cygdrive/z", with Z:
being a mapped network drive. "df" is /usr/bin/df; not an alias.

I was running coreutils 5.2.1-5. After I saw your message, I upgraded
to 5.3.0-2 but it still happens.

There was some discussion about this last year; mostly with regards to
the same symptoms with "find" (which have been fixed).

> - --
> Life is short - so eat dessert first!
(We'd probably live longer if we skipped dessert)

> Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net

- Tom