Re: Bug diff 2.8.7: Separate dir

On Sat, Mar 05, 2005 at 06:55:12PM -0800, Brian Dessent wrote:
>I don't know enough about Cygwin history or internals to say why this is
>the case.  Someone who knows more about it would have to explain it.
>And as you've seen it can lead to confusing situations.

I'm not sure how an explanation would help and *I'm* not interested in
getting dragged too deeply into this discussion.  It has all of the earmarks
of quickly devolving into cygwin standard discussion #7 where we all learn
that cygwin should try harder to accommodate things that it was designed to
mask or the universe as we know it will implode.

There are some simple facts here.

There isn't going to be any work on diff to deal with this behavior and
there isn't going to be a new cygwin release which changes binmode
behavior.

In other words: the OP should use POSIX paths.

If that isn't acceptable then maybe a native windows version of diff
would work better.  There are certainly at least a couple of those out
there, not that discussion of a native windows version would be
appropriate for this list.

cgf