Re: mktime() fails to return

Rich Natale wrote:

> I have two computers running XP Pro sp2. One has the cygwin development
> environment installed. I created and tested an application on the
> development computer which uses mktime(), and it works fine. I then
> moved the executable, cygwin1.dll, and cygz.dll to the other computer.
> When I run the app, it enters mktime() and never returns. I also moved
> the same three files to a third computer without cygwin and experienced
> the same failure.

I believe that mktime() implies calling tzset() which could result in
trying to open a file under /usr/share/zoneinfo/*, which will not exist
on your non-installed system (and even if it did there would be no mount
present telling Cygwin what /usr is supposed to be.)  I don't know why
that results in a hang though.  You should build a cygwin1.dll with
symbols and step through the hang.

I'm not really familiar with how Cygwin handles timezones so take this
with a huge grain of salt but it looks like you can set "TZ=posixrules"
if you want a built-in set of zone info to be used, otherwise it will
try to access the files.

Brian