Re: RFE: enhance setup.exe to used cached mirrors file

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 12:57:00AM -0300, Ricardo Fodra wrote:
> >Does setup have to download mirrors.lst and setup.bz2 every time?
> >Can't it compare the date of the files on the server and on the
> >computer?  I have a dial up connection and I can only download a few
> >packages per day, and every day setup downloads those files.
>
> mirrors.lst is updated twice a day.  setup.bz2 is updated frequently.
> It is possible to add the kind of functionality that you're talking
> about, though.  It's just a simple matter of programming.
>
> Unfortunately, the wisher to doer ratio for cygwin is pretty high so
> it is unlikely that anyone would be implementing anything like this.

FWIW, someone posted a patch just two days ago with one possible way of
addressing this issue: <http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-03/msg00399.html>
Which, of course, just proves that searching the archives actually *does*
help sometimes... :-)
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

"The Sun will pass between the Earth and the Moon tonight for a total
Lunar eclipse..." -- WCBS Radio Newsbrief, Oct 27 2004, 12:01 pm EDT