password authenticiation problem

I have installed cygwin on my WindowsXP laptop. When I try to ssh to username@127.0.0.1 it won't accept my password. I have changed my password and used the passwd command a few times to try to fix the problem.

One curious thing: the prompt says "USERNAME@LAPTOP". My computer name is LAPTOP but the USERNAME it gives is not the same as the windows account username that I have set. I think it is an old one that used to use. I tried ssh using that username, but it wouldn't work either.

I set up a new account with a new username and password and tried it all over again. That woudn't accept the password either.

This must be a common problem but I was not able to find it in the archives. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks, Beverly