Re: clamwin installs incompatible copy of cygwin1.dll

At 01:50 PM 3/24/2005, you wrote:
>I had a user install clamwin and as discussed on the list here:
> http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2004-09/msg00288.html
>it blithely installs cygwin1.dll regardless of any installation
>of cygwin.  This predictably causes problems.
>
>Searching through the user guide and faq doesn't yield
>a suggestion for solutions or workarounds and searching
>the list archives yields so much material that it is
>hard to focus in on what specifically to do.  Obviously,
>I can have the person uninstall clamwin.  Is there anything
>else that makes sense (and, no, uninstalling cygwin doesn't
>make sense)?

The "standard" solution in these cases is to remove the cygwin1.dll
from the offending 3rd party package after installing and make sure
that the 3rd party package can find the already existing cygwin1.dll
in the Cygwin installation (C:\cygwin\bin by default).  The easiest
way to do this is to put the Cygwin installation path/bin in your
Windows path.  As Chris points out, this could all be automated with
some minor effort on the part of the 3rd party providers but in the
absence of such support, you have to do it manually. :-(  A better
question might be to ask the clamwin folks why they can't augment
their installer to accommodate an existing Cygwin installation.  If
their package breaks a Cygwin installation, it's really not a Cygwin
problem per-se.

Holliston, MA 01746