Re: clamwin installs incompatible copy of cygwin1.dll

On Mar 29 22:55, Larry Hall wrote:
> At 05:49 PM 3/29/2005, you wrote:
> >If there is interest, I am willing to take a crack at pulling
> >together the information that is sprinkled in email threads
> >about how to avoid trampling on existing cygwin installations.
> >
> >Eventually, there really should be a section in the user guide
> >about the topic "How (and how not) to create and distribute an
> >application that depends on cygwin".  I'm willing to help with
> >that but I suspect other people can write something many times
> >more quickly and more accurately.
>

> I think this is a great idea, though perhaps this is more appropriate as
> the basis for a "third party packager's guide".  Although it is not really
> hard to make a third party package that plays nice with Cygwin, if the
> Cygwin site provides a helpful recipe and guidelines, there's a chance
> we'll see more compliance, if only because we can then shame people into
> it. ;-)  If you're willing to put together the substance of this and neither
> Chris nor Corinna dislike the idea, please post what you come up with to
> this list.  I, for one, would be happy to review your contribution.

The idea of a "third party packager's guide" sounds good to me.  I'd rather
have third parties not to pack Cygwin in their packages at all and to point
the user to install Cygwin from cygwin.com instead, but I guess that's
rather unrealistically.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.