Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: cygutils-1.2.7-1

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 08:21:01PM +0200, Markus Sch?nhaber wrote:
>Am Donnerstag, 14. April 2005 20:13 schrieb Jan Nieuwenhuizen:
>>Christopher Faylor writes:
>>>Yeah, one of the rpms that I am working on building for my real job
>>>(tm) actually used rename on linux.  It was news to me that this
>>>program even existed.  I usually write some kind of for loop to do
>>>this.
>>
>>Maybe that's because I am not sure at all it does exist on linux
>>
>"on Linux" is vague enough to be fairly meaningless.  Look here:
>http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/ You may have these
>tools installed "on Linux" or not.

I suppose I should know better than to make a simple casual remark.  As
anyone who uses linux knows, the util-linux package is intended to be
included with a linux distribution.  That is why you found it on
kernel.org rather than "my-special-linux-tools.org".

So, it is no surprise that the rename from util-linux is available un
FC*, RH7.2, RH9, Gentoo, SuSE, (AFAICT) Mandrake, and (AFAICT)
Slackware.  And, as has been pointed out, although Debian (and
presumably Ubuntu) use util-linux, the version of rename is a different
package with similar functionality.

I'm sure there must be a minor linux installation out there which
doesn't have a program of that name but that is really not a concern for
this list and really doesn't merit all that much attention here.  If
your version of linux doesn't include 'rename' then find one that does
or build it yourself from scratch.  It certainly isn't hard.

cgf