Re: Hippo icon!

On Tue, 3 May 2005, Chris Herborth wrote:

> Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 12:02:21 -0400
> From: Chris Herborth <cherborth@qnx.com>
> To: cygwin@cygwin.com
> Subject: Re: Hippo icon!
>
> Chris January wrote:
> >> I noticed that the icon for Cygwin on the website has changed from the
> >> green-n-black C to a roaring hippo.
> >> http://www.cygwin.com/hippo.jpg
> >
> > It's to shake off the impression that Cygwin is bloated and slow. No,
> > wait....
>
> Hippos are bloated and fast.  And rather dangerous, actually...

Most people don't know anything about hippos, other than the content of
the popular stereotype.

An icon exploits the stereotyped image of its subject, not its hidden
properties that are known to few, and are possibly controversial.

Are hippos fast? Well, compared to what?  From among images of land
animals, would you choose one of a hippo to represent speed? What about
agility? Assuming hippos are fast, can they change direction rapidly
also? Are they flexible?