Re: CYGWIN sshd service could not be started

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> > > In the future versions, we should also check for user mounts for the
> > > SYSTEM user -- unlikely, but very nasty and hard to detect.  I also
> > > wonder if the above test should go into configurations for all
> > > services, or perhaps even added to cygrunsrv in some form...
> >
> > Well, you know the acronym for this... ;-)
>
> Oh, you mean <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BWAM>? ;-)
> I know someone will have to do that, just wanted to put that one in the
> archives.

Maybe cygpath needs another option, "check path as user."  E.g.

cygpath -c SYSTEM /usr/bin  # return true if SYSTEM user can access
/usr/bin

It would consider all the mounts, check the permissions on the
directory, do traverse checking if that's enabled, and anything else
relevent.  For files it would check the ability to read, for paths the
ability to execute/traverse.

This could be used for troubleshooting various problems reported on the
mailing list relating to permissions.  It seems to come up in various
forms often.

Although I fully admit that SHTDI applies here too.

Brian