Re: "ls" finds file1 but "ls file1" does not

Eric Blake wrote:

mv -v "$f" " ` echo $f | tr A-Z a-z ` "

EVIL - you are moving "FOO" to " foo " (Windows strips trailing spaces, but not leading spaces, so it is really moving to " foo"). YOU ARE ADDING SPACES to the filename. Fix your script so that there are no spaces between "` and `".
_____________

Thought it was clever of me to make that little ` visible to my old eyes.
_______________

Also, as mentioned elsewhere, `ls -q' or `ls -Q' would have made this apparent.
______________

ls -Q does, if invoked as "ls -Q" and not as "ls -Q as*"

Thanks for the help, and sorry for an inquiry that turned out to be off-topic.

I am reluctant to upgrade because the use of large static
 fortran arrays with cygwin/g77 seems to be a fragile issue and my
 current installation is now working (but only with -mno-cygwin).

Dave Korn wrote:

 That one is *well-and-truely* fixed, solved, sorted, straightened out,
banged on the head, put to bed, laid to rest, and otherwise dealt with!