Re: Mv after tar in a shell script problems

"Gary R. Van Sickle" wrote:

> ...and, if I change the mv to a loop which keeps trying if there's a
> failure:
>
>   while ! mv dir_name_file.tar.bz2_untars_to new_dir_name; do echo "retrying
> move..."; done
>
> it will eventually work after a few iterations.
>
> I... huh?
>
> I'll brew up a test case, this is nutso.

The only thing I can think of is that tar exits immediately after
issuing the final write() of the last file, and mv starts up before the
file system has a chance to finish commiting that write to disk.

The question would then be, does the filesystem allow close() to
complete even if there is still outstanding IO.  Maybe it has to do with
write caching of the drive.

Brian