Re: Drop Win9x support? (was: Serious performance problems)

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 11:25:38AM -0400, Jim Drash wrote:
>Since Cygwin is open source, there is nothing stopping anyone from
>taking the current source  for themseleves and doing what they will
>(as long as they give back <large grin>). It is possible that someone
>who cared about having a Win9x Cygwin port would take up the
>maintainance (not unlike the folks who continue to maintain the Linux
>2.2 Kernel).
>
>This is the joy of open source you can have your cake and eat it too.

True, but the whole reason that I sent the message:

"For the record: We are not dropping Win9x support."

was to allay any concerns that we would stop supporting Win9x.  We may
have a problem with Win95 these days because neither Corinna nor I have
a Win95 system (and this is not a request for a win95 system) but we do
try to remember to check things on Win98 and WinME and don't plan on
stopping.

So, while your observations about open source are correct, I don't see
any reason to invoke them any time in the foreseeable future.

cgf