chmod suddenly ceased to work on old files - NEW FINDINGS

I found after some experimenting, that the previous description of
my chmod problem was not quite correct. The case seems to be more
complicated
than I thought at first. Here is a revised description of my problem:

PROBLEM:

From one day to the next, I can't chmod most old files anymore (error
message:
"permission denied"). I don't see any special characteristic in the
*very*
few old files, where permission still can be changed.

   chmod 0777 some_old_file

=> ... Permission denied

When I create a new file, behaviour depends on how I create it:

   touch new_file1
   chmod 0777 new_file1

=> works fine.

   perl -e 'open(X,">new_file2"); print X "abc";'
   chmod 0777 new_file2

=> works fine too.

But when I open a text editor, from within the editor create the new
file,
exit the editor, and then do a chmod on the file, I get "Permission
denied"
again.

My first thought was that the user id might mysteriously have changed
over night,
but a listing of the files with

   ls -ln

and a check of my user id with

   id -u

confirms that the same numeric user id is used all the time.

I'm running cygwin under Windows 2000. My CYGWIN variable has the value:

   tty ntsec smbntsec

Any idea what is going wrong?

Ronald

--