Re: chmod suddenly ceased to work on old files - NEW FINDINGS

Ugh, top-posting.  Reformatted.

                               ^
http://cygwin.com/acronyms#PCYMTNQREAIYR

>>My quick guess is that ACLs are at work.  Compare the output
>>of "getfacl
>>old new".  Actually posting the output of "ls -l", "stat", or
>>"getfacl"
>>might be helpful here, so that others can look at the
>>permissions as well.

According to FischRon.external AT infineon DOT com on 6/28/2005 6:50 AM:
> Thank you for your suggestions. Below you see the result for
> file x (this is a file which does not work) and file y (which is a file
> where chmod works):
>
> $ getfacl -a x y
> # file: x
> # owner: fischron
> # group: mkgroup_l_d
> user::rwx
> group::---
> group:Administrators:rwx
> mask:rwx
> other:---
>
> # file: y
> # owner: fischron
> # group: mkgroup_l_d
> user::rwx
> group::---
> mask:rwx
> other:---
>
> $ ls -l x y
> -rwx------+   1 fischron mkgroup_        4 Jan 19  2004 x
> -rwx------    1 fischron mkgroup_        0 Jun 28 09:07 y

Aha - just as I suspected - ACLs at work (the file x is accessible to the
administrators group, while the file y is not).  Further information would
be useful, such as the attached output of 'cygcheck -svr'; see
cygwin.com/problems.html.  And that mkgroup_ as the group name is fishy;
your /etc/group file is probably out-of-date, so see the output of
'mkgroup --help' to remedy that.

> I don't know about the 'stat' command you are refering to.

It is part of coreutils-5.3.0-6.  Have you upgraded your installation in a
while?

- --
Life is short - so eat dessert first!

Eric Blake             ebb9@byu.net