Re: ssh problems

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005, Eli Barzilay wrote:

> On Jul  9, Larry Hall wrote:
> > When running through sshd, you're running via a service.
> > Authenticating without a password means that Windows won't
> > authenticate as the user you are. The reverse is also true.  So it's
> > possible that VS needs access to some information that it doesn't have
> > access to without being authenticated by Windows.  I could hazard a
> > guess or two as to what that might be but a better approach would be
> > to just check the MSDN and on-line sources for the different access
> > restrictions of services that don't authenticate with Windows.  Sorry
> > that's not much help, beyond the idea itself.
>
> For unrelated reasons, I will be debugging this thing remotely via vnc.
> This makes he whole deal a lot more complex.  But the thing is that I
> won't mind a dirty solution -- is there a way to do this by reducing
> security somehow?  Perhaps there is a way to start sshd in a different
> way?  (After all, this thing *used* to work just fine with an older
> cygwin installation...)

Since you don't seem to have followed the Cygwin problem reporting
guidelines at <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>, we don't know what
version of Cygwin you've installed (please pay particular attention to the
part in bold (about attaching the output of "cygcheck -svr").

Another WAG.  If, as you say, it used to work before, you may be hitting
traverse checking, which was turned on by default in a couple of newer
Cygwin versions.  The path to the necessary files may have been
inaccessible to the SYSTEM user, though the files themselves were.  This
didn't matter for older Cygwin versions, but did in those ones.  Try
running sshd with 'notraverse' in $CYGWIN.  If that solves your problem,
remove 'notraverse' and open the access to whatever directories DevStudio
needs (you can use, for example, SysInternals' filemon to find out what
those are).

Another thing to try is to get a system-owned shell and run DevStudio from
it -- I'd guess you'll get the same errors.  That may be problematic to do
via VNC, though.

In any case, try running the filemon tool and allow access to all of the
files it reports to the "SYSTEM" user.  I think that might fix your
problem.

As a last resort, again, since this used to work, try running sshd under
strace (be prepared for a HUGE output file).  Look through that trace to
see when DevStudio runs -- if any Cygwin processes are invoked, see if
they report access errors.  This is something you'll need to do locally,
though -- please don't send strace output to the list (if you have the web
space, it may be ok to post a link to it, just in case someone is
interested -- but only if Cygwin is involved).
HTH,
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/