Re: Is the Cygwin installation process likely to change significantly anytime soon?

Larry Hall wrote:
At 04:20 PM 7/25/2005, you wrote:

I actually have no say on when any of this could change but given the history and recent conversations on some of these topics, I think I can help you develop a better sense of what could happen here.

Traditionally, development of 'setup.exe' moves pretty slowly, or in bursts
at best. Obviously, this could change at any time but if you're a betting
man, you may want to lay your money down on a relative status-quo here. That said, there has been much more development going on in the last 6
months than the previous 6 (or even year) and much talk about the package
selection control. So of all the things you've listed, I think this control is the one thing that is less likely to be stable than all the others. It's hard to say whether it would retain exactly the same UI, even
if the internals were changed. My guess is that the UI would change at least some, since usability is one of the major concerns about this control.
I would expect that there will always be some kind of tree control here but
the options for binary and source packages has been some cause for confusion and, as a result, may change. Even the widget for cycling between the options you listed (and others) may be replaced. And there is
the occasional "radical" suggestion that the current program be junked
and replaced with a completely new variant, which obviously may bear little
resemblance to the current one. But I wouldn't expect any major changes between now and the end of the year. Beyond that is less clear both in scope and timing.

Thanks, you've been very helpful.

I think with respect to package selection I can probably say that I'm explaining it in detail because it's a bit confusing, and that while the interface might change after the book is published, if it does change, it will probably be made easier.

HTH,

Larry Hall http://www.rfk.com

Jonathan