RE: ftp fails using cygwin but works with windows command window and IE, please advise

Sorry about that.. thanks that was the issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Hall [mailto:lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 10:33 AM
To: Susan Sien; cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: ftp fails using cygwin but works with windows command
window and IE, please advise

At 11:18 AM 8/9/2005, you wrote:
>From: Susan Sien
>Sent: Monday, August 08, 2005 9:36 PM
>To: 'cygwin@xxx.xxxx'
>Subject: ftp works with windows command window but fails when using ftp
>from cygwin window

What's the point of forwarding headers back to the list?  If you *must*
do this for some reason, edit out email address as I have done above.

>Hi,
>
>I recently upgraded my cygwin installation and now ftp doesn't work for
>me.
>I am able to issue and ftp command, but when the ftp server prompts for
>a password,
>I get "invalid command" as soon as I enter the first character.
>
>Please advise.  ftp works if I use Windows Command window and via IE,
so
>I don't understand
>why it doesn't work when I try to ftp from a cygwin window.

This still isn't great information on what specifically you're doing and
where you see the problem but it is enough information to state that the
FTP client you're using isn't Cygwin's.  Install the 'inetutils' package
if you want Cygwin's 'ftp'.  Otherwise, I'm afraid you're slipping into
the realm of the "off-topic".

Holliston, MA 01746