RE: Windows hardening and system paths

At 05:55 PM 8/18/2005, you wrote:
>I installed Cygwin using the installer, and after installing the packages -
>as I have done at least 10 times before - I ran the ssh-host-config -y (yes
>to all). This usually generates the host-keys automatically, and as you
>correctly state; it also sets the right permissions per default.
>
>I installed the exact same package on another machine running Windows XP -
>to eliminate the possibility of differences in package versions being the
>issue here. However, the package that I installed on Windows XP - using the
>exact same installation and configuration procedures - started the service
>straight away - without any problems and without creating special user
>accounts. Maybe I should try and create a special user account, since I am
>trying to install on Windows Server 2003 and not XP where it works fine.
>
>Therefore my conclusion is that something must be configured wrong on this
>particular Windows Server 2003 - as you hopefully could make from the logs.
>
>By the way - how do I generate the host keys? This might be the issue since
>sshd terminates because of this.
>
>Sorry for all the questions, but I am out of my depths here - I usually have
>no problems with Cygwin on any Windows platform... Maybe I'm on my own...

Just run '/bin/ssh-host-config' interactively instead and when it tells you
you're running W2K3 and that you need to create a user to run the service
as, tell it to do so.  Walking through the prompts is not hard and you'll
be sure that you create the 'sshd_server' user as needed.  This script
takes care of all configuration issues for you (including the host key files
and permissions).  The problem you noted is not specific to *your* W2K3
machine.  It's a "feature" of W2K3.

Holliston, MA 01746