Re: 1.5.18: Install Issues (Windows 2000)

At 02:11 PM 8/22/2005, you wrote:
>I am trying to install the latest Cygwin on Windows 2000 Professional.
>
>I do not have Administrator access as this is a work PC.
>
>I downloaded the Cygwin distribution and wrote it to a CD. I then
>did an install from the CD to my machine at work.
>
>Here are the problems I ran into:
>
>1. The install runs smoothly all the way to the post install scripts.
>  Then, during the post install scripts, I get many pop-ups complaining
>  that it cannot locate 2 files: cygintl-2.dll and cygpopt-0.dll.
>  I just hit the OK button on each pop-up.
>
>  More specifically, I found that the pop-ups show that gfconftool.exe   and mkshortcut.exe can't find cygpopt-0.dll on post intstall actions.
>  Also, cmp.exe and rpmd.exe can't find cygintl-2.dll on post intstall actions.
>
>2. Where are the less and more commands? I cannot locate the 'less' and 'more'
>  commands. They don't seem to be anywhere in my path even though I installed
>  everything.  The same goes for the 'clear' command to clear the screen.
>
>4. When I first ran vi, it could not find cygncurses7.dll. I copied   d:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses-8.dll to d:\cygwin\bin\cygncurses7.dll and then   vi worked. I also had to copy cygintl-3.dll to cygintl-2.dll.
>
>5. Several commands seem to require cygpopt-?.dll. What package is supposed
>  to contain that library?
>

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Brian Kirkland

Your installation is missing packages.  This is either because the mirror
you downloaded from did not contain them (for some reason), you unselected
something accidentally (though this would have to have been more than one
unselect), or 'setup.exe' had some sort of problem resolving all the
dependencies.  You can find out what packages contain a needed file at
<http://cygwin.com/packages/>.  This will help you track down packages
that you need to install.  If it's just a question of some packages
weren't selected, rerun 'setup.exe' and select any remaining packages.
However, if you suspect a 'setup.exe' problem, make copies of
'/var/log/setup.log*' since running setup again will alter/overwrite these
files.  You'll want to look at the originals to see what 'setup.exe' had
problems with.  Before doing *any* of this, you'll want to *undo* any
"fixes" you implemented (i.e. copying cygncurses-8.dll to cygncurses-7.dll).
It may be easier just ot wipe the current installation and re-run it.

Holliston, MA 01746