Re: sftp "connection closed"

On 9/7/05, Larry Hall <lh-no-personal-replies-please@cygwin.com> wrote:
> At 12:33 PM 9/7/2005, you wrote:
> >When "ssh host" works but "sftp host" doesn't, where should I look?
> >
> >I appreciate your help.
>
> I guess you could try starting the server with debugging turned on and
> see what you get from the logs there.  Results from that are usually
> more instructive.

It started working again after I changed /etc/passwd.
When I recreated the file by doing mkpasswd -l, I also
hand-editted something. That is the last part of the line,
the login shell. Originally it was bash, and I changed it
to tcsh. Being a tcsh fan all my life, I've always hated
when I had to type "tcsh" right after logging in on a ssh
session because the login shell is bash. When I did
mkpasswd, I thought it was a perfect time to change
my login shell to tcsh. And I was happy with the result:
tcsh running as a login shell.

With tcsh as a login shell, however, sftp didn't work.
With bash, it is working now. So I take it.