SSH Client Odditie with shosts on 2K/2K3/XP??

I am utterly confused . . .

Win2K3 Server latest patches, latest install of Cygwin (DLL version: 1.5.18) and OpenSSH (openssh 4.2p1-1). No trouble getting SSHD to behave properly once configured; I can authenticate to this box via shosts from remote Linux and UNIX systems.  I cannot use the Cygwin SSH client to do host based authentication to another server that I typically can SSH to via host base (-o PreferredAuthentications hostbased) or even to the localhost.

The Linux / UNIX boxes I tries are running SSH daemons, and they are configured to allow host base and work fine both as clients and servers to one another, so I know I have their configuration correct.

I can SSH locally and auth via public key, but not host based even after the shosts file is configured. It appears that when the PreferredAuthentication is passed, it sees the hostbased statement, but just dies.  Mind you, I can SSH from a remote location to the same server once the shosts file is configured and it works fine.

ssh_config
---------------------
AddressFamily inet
EnableSSHKeysign yes
HostbasedAuthentication yes
LogLevel DEBUG3
PreferredAuthentications 'hostbased,publickey,keyboard-interactive,password'
Protocol 2
PubkeyAuthentication yes
RhostsAuthentication yes
RhostsRSAAuthentication yes
RSAAuthentication yes
UsePrivilegedPort yes
Host *
ForwardX11 yes

After a number of traces, and running in verbose mode, it appears to just die when it sees the "hostbased" statement. Example:
debug1: Connecting to localhost [127.0.0.1] port 22.
debug1: Allocated local port 816.
debug1: Connection established.
---<snip>----
debug1: identity file /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_dsa type 2
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_4.2
debug1: match: OpenSSH_4.2 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_4.2
---<snip>----
debug1: Host 'localhost' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /home/Administrator/.ssh/known_hosts:1
debug2: bits set: 547/1024
debug2: kex_derive_keys
debug2: set_newkeys: mode 1
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug2: set_newkeys: mode 0
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug2: service_accept: ssh-userauth
debug2: key: /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_rsa (0x1002ec10)
debug2: key: /home/Administrator/.ssh/id_dsa (0x1002a538)
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,keyboard-interactive,hostbased
debug3: start over, passed a different list publickey,password,keyboard-interactive,hostbased
debug3: preferred hostbased
debug3: authmethod_lookup hostbased
debug3: remaining preferred:
debug3: authmethod_is_enabled hostbased
debug1: Next authentication method: hostbased
debug2: userauth_hostbased: chost cms01.
debug2: ssh_keysign called
debug3: ssh_msg_send: type 2
debug3: ssh_msg_recv entering
could not open any host key
ssh_keysign: no reply
key_sign failed
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug1: No more authentication methods to try.
Permission denied (publickey,password,keyboard-interactive,hostbased).

If I specify "ssh localhost -o 'PreferredAuthentications hostbased,publickey'" all is fine . . . .but it auths bashed on public key.

I even went to far as to setuid on the ssh.exe, so what AM I missing?
-bill-