Re: Bug: Setup tool doesn't respect managed mountpoints/filesystems

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

> If either everything or nothing is encoded, that's only 2 possibilities.
> I originally thought that it would be enough to encode the differing
> characters, but therein lies madness, as you observed.

Right, I think that's what I was incorrectly thinking of.

> Not "nearly every file operation", only in case clashes are present...

Yes, but how do you know which version of the filename to use without
trying?  You don't know in advance whether you want the encoded version
or the plain version, so you'd have to try the one and if that fails try
the other.  And you'd need to do that for just about anything that
accesses a filename, like renaming, deleting, opening, etc.

> Isn't this what started this thread?  Explorer isn't the only Windows
> program that may inadvertently access (and get confused by) managed
> mounts.  Setup is a much more important one.
>
> Besides, I can see the utility of, say, making /usr/src a managed mount
> (though only for non-official Cygwin packages, since the official ones had
> better have all their source files in the right case).

At the moment I see managed mounts as a relativly obscure feature that
should only be used when you have a stubborn package that's produced by
the kind of linux zealots who refuse to rename aux.c.  I certainly think
it should be only reserved for certain situations, and not used for all
of /usr/src.

It would be great if setup.exe could cope with managed mounts though.
If someone sent a patch that would be super, but I don't personally
think it's something I'd spend time on.

> You must have missed the fact that nearly every source tarball contains a
> Makefile[.in]...  :-)  Besides, look in /usr/share/doc/...

My comment was referring to the scenario where you e.g. unpack a source
tarball (using cygwin tar) into a manged mount and then work on it with
a windows text editor.  In this case, it's annoying -- but something you
can still cope with -- that you have to open "%4Dakefile.in" instead of
"Makefile.in".

Brian