Re: setup.exe 2.510.2.2, 2.427 and 2.457 consistently failing, on win2000, sp4

On Tue, Sep 27, 2005 at 10:09:44AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Sep 2005, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> > > What about c:\cygwin\var\log\setup.log.full?  It should have more
> > > information (in particular, the io_stream_cygfile messages should be
> > > preceded by the names of the files they correspond to).
> >
> >  that's the strange thing: no such filenames are listed.
> >
> >  rather than irritate the crap out of everybody by dropping a 410k file
> >  into thousands of people's mailboxes, i've placed the log at:
> >
> >  	http://hands.com/~lkcl/cygwin/setup.log.full
>
> You could've gzipped it down to about 30k, but this is good too, thanks.
> FWIW, it's indeed a setup.log.full.
>
> There are a few weird parts in this log.  Here's one:
>
> 2005/09/27 12:27:46 Selected local directory: C:\
> 2005/09/27 12:27:52 Selected local directory: C:\cygfiles
>
> For some reason, it remembered C:\ as your local package directory.  Did
> c:\http%2f%2fgobbledegook.mirrors.kernel.org%2gobbledegookcygwin get
> created, by any chance?

  no, because i keep having to change it to c:\cygfiles: it doesn't
  remember that, though.

> The other weird part is that it doesn't show *any* packages selected to
> download.

 no, i know.

> Did you switch to Partial view to verify that you're actually
> going to upgrade any packages?

 no but i checked the list and it showed package versions: i assume this
 means "yes i gonna install these".

> Can you please post the *exact* list of
> steps you took, from the moment you started setup to the moment it ended,
> copying and pasting any message boxes you get on the way?  It didn't even
> show you the "Installation complete" message box, looks like...

 no, i've never seen that message box.

 the only one i've seen is that one about the drive setting (which i
 sent in my first post).

> > > Please try an HTTP mirror.
> >
> >  the failures i am seeing now are that nothing is even downloaded - at
> >  all.
>
> Did you try to run setup in other modes (e.g., "Download only")?

 download only, no.

 install from local, because when previously using the setup program i
 successfully downloaded all the packages i wanted: yes.

> >  the subdirectory,
> >  c:\cygfiles\http%2f%2fgobbledegook.mirrors.kernel.org%2gobbledegookcygwin,
> >  has however been created.
>
> Heh, I misread this at first.  Looks like setup is crashing before it ever
> gets to the package download phase...  You might try some other mirrors
> (mirrors.kernel.org is a good one, and so is mirror.mcs.anl.gov).

 yep, mirrors.kernel.org is where i attempted the http download from,
 even though i already have everything i want to install already
 downloaded from ftp.easynet.be.

> If worse comes to worst, I may post a debug version of setup I compiled
> and ask you to try it out.  It might give us some clue on what is
> happening on your machine.

 ack!

 happy with that.

 l.