Re: Cygwin Load Times and ZoneAlarm (not X)

Anthony Foglia wrote:

>          Has anyone else experienced long load times for bash/cygwin.bat
> when running ZoneAlarm Security Suite?  And if so, do you have any ideas
> how to speed it up?  With ZoneAlarm shut down, I get a bash prompt in
> under 2 seconds. With ZoneAlarm running, it takes over a full minute.

Horrible.  That's a perfect example of why I can't stand these software
firewalls that put their hooks throughout the whole system.  Try
disabling all the real-time scanning stuff.

>         I believe it is the "On-Access" virus scanning.  Are other virus
> scanners as bad?  What software do people recommend for firewall and virus
> protection to use with cygwin?

You might be interested in the thread that starts here:
<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-06/msg00815.html>

Brian