Re: setup.exe 2.510.2.2, 2.427 and 2.457 consistently failing, on win2000, sp4

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 10:19:58AM -0400, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
>
> > >  http://hands.com/~lkcl/cygwin
> >
> > Umm, doesn't look like you actually tried to install anything...  Did you
> > simply switch to partial view and then cancel?
>
>  no - i didn't!!
>
>  it's a minimum install which i downloaded earlier.

Hmm, weird.

>  btw - when it says the files aren't there (fopen failed) it's because
>  the files _aren't_ there!!
>
>  should they be?

Yes.

>  should they have been created?

Yes, but possibly after a successful install.  I just noticed the way the
install database is managed in setup, and it's ghastly.  I'll see if I can
write something more sensible when I get a round tuit.

>  maybe this is something as weird as fopen() with create flags being
>  ignored...

How are your permissions on c:\cygwin and c:\cygwin\etc?

> > It would be interesting to see what the log looks like for a real
> > install -- download from internet, etc.
>
>  that's going to hammer my network for an hour: any suggestions on
>  minimum package (singular!) which will get info into the logs?

There's no single package -- many things in the Base category are
inter-dependent.  However, if you switch back to the original mirror you
used to download the packages, setup won't re-download stuff it already
has in the cache.
HTH,
	Igor
--