Re: cygstart regression [Was: Re: on the road to 1.5.19 - snapshot testing needed]

On Sep 30 12:07, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Christopher Faylor wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 09:17:06AM -0600, Aaron Humphrey wrote:
> >
> >>I just did some version testing on the cygstart .mdb problem I reported a
> >>few
> >>days ago(http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2005-09/msg00923.html), and it is
> >>indeed a regression from 1.5.18.  Cygstart works fine with 1.5.18, but as
> >>early as the 20050909 snapshot(as far back as I have)it fails on MDB
> >>files.
> >

> >Sorry but I don't have Microsoft Access so I can't check this.  I don't
> >consider
> >this a show-stopper either, unfortunately.
> >
> >cygstart comes from cygutils.  I don't remember the genesis of this
> >utility (just because it is in cygutils doesn't mean that Chuck is
> >responsible for it) but it would be nice if the person who supports this
> >utility would comment here.
>
> cygstart was contributed by Michael Schapp, who is still around but
> doesn't post often.  cygstart, aside from its option handling, is a very
> simple app.  The core routine just uses the Windows 'ShellExecute'
> function on the specified file.  Windows is then responsible for looking
> up the associated application in the registry, starting it, and causing
> it to load the specified file.  I don't see how anything in cygwin
> itself can affect that.
>
> The ONLY thing I can think of is changes in path handing (conversion
> between 'unix' and 'windows') as cygstart tries to prepare the target
> file's pathname for passing into the ShellExecute function -- variable
> name 'aPath' in the code below.
>
> But I'll defer to Michael for futher analysis.

FWIW, I (my spouse, actually) just tested this with Access 2003, like
this:

  $ cygstart /cygdrive/c/foo/bar/database-file.mdb

once with 1.5.18 and once with 1.5.19 from current CVS (== latest
snapshot) and both invocations happily started the database in Access.

Maybe the OP should show us how he starts the mdb file when it fails.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.