Re: Why is setup.exe so difficult? Am I missing something?

Matt England wrote:

<snip>

Best regards, and thanks in advance for any help.

From what I've seen of the responses so far, you've received some good advice
about things to try to alleviate some (all?) of your difficulties.  I'm sure
others could suggest more but it may be more beneficial to the list and to any
continued discussion if you were to get specific with the issues you see.  In
particular, it would be worthwhile knowing whether suggestions made so far
address your issues.

FWIW, you'll find *lots* of discussion about 'setup.exe', how it works, how
it doesn't, what's being done to improve it, and even ideas of it's
replacement on the cygwin-apps list.  This is actually the list of preference
for these types of discussions and bug reports, though it is not off-topic for
the cygwin list.  Suffice it to say, there are known issues with 'setup.exe'.
Some are working to alleviate these issues and the pace recently has picked
up.  Most of what's been discussed in this thread so far is not new, as you
may notice if you review the cygwin-apps archives.  It's a question of
volunteers to drive a new initiative or accelerate the transformation of the
existing utility.  Feel free to join in! :-)

Holliston, MA 01746