Re: Why is setup.exe so difficult? Am I missing something?

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> The 'now-abandoned "install it all at once"' problem was unabandoned two
> setup releases ago (I believe), recent advice notwithstanding.  Maybe
> the setup developers will correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK, there is no
> longer any reason to split a cygwin install into two.

The original reason for the advice was because there was a handle leak,
which caused problems if setup tried to extract from a large number of
.tar.bz2s in one session.  That has been corrected (I think?) and so in
theory it should no longer matter.

It's possible that there is still something wacked in the postinstall
ordering that would cause errors if you tried to go from zero to every
available package in one go.  I'll have to try that scenario and see if
I can make it happen.  Though AFAIK it should run them in dependency
order and work fine.

Brian

(It's unfortunate that most of the sentences above are "in theory" and
"I think".  I would like to say for sure that it should work, but it's
not something that I've personally done that often because to be honest
I really loathe the idea that one would have to install all 2.4GB of
stuff just because one didn't know what was required.)