Re: SETUP: In-use files have been replaced

Herb Martin wrote:

> Wouldn't we also need to stop all Shells or any other
> CygWin process?

Yes, of course.

> And:  If there are not CygWin processes (services,
> shells, other apps) is it considered a bug if Setup
> cannot complete the update?

What do you mean "cannot complete the update"?  Setup should always be
able to perform the updates, but if files are in use it will have to
schedule them to be replaced on the next reboot.  There is nothing it
can do about this as it's a restriction of the windows filesystem.

> I had to use source to compile a module with different
> from default options.
>
> How can that module be installed so that Setup will
> STOP trying to replace it?

Don't use the same location as the packaged version.

> (...and thus not need me to uncheck the item, or
> ensure it is unchecked, on each  run of Setup.

If you replace a packaged file with one of your own, you will almost
certainly encounter problems at some later point.  All package
management systems work this way, which is why you must use the
designated locations (/usr/local, /opt, etc.) or otherwise inform the
package system of your desire (for example, debian/apt has
"diversions".)  You will have the same thing happen on a linux system if
you replace a file in /usr/lib with a self-compiled one.

Brian