Re: Error creating files in /tmp

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005, Alastair Burnett wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an 'interesting' problem - we have some software tools which
> require cygwin. For various reasons, we can't install cygwin on a local
> machine - all that the tools require is the cygwin1.dll and bash.exe, in
> theory at least.
>
> The tools and cygwin dependancies are all running from a mapped network
> drive - say f:\tools\bin.
>
> Now, when I run the tools from another mapped drive - say a g: drive, I
> initially got the error about not being able to find a /tmp directory,
> so I simply did 'mkdir /tmp' and got past this. However, now the tools
> bail out because it can't create a file in /tmp - which is the problem
> I'm having. Anyone got any idea how to get round this - as I mention, we
> can't do a full install of cygwin on the local machine, which would
> solve the problem quite easily.
>
> If I start a bash shell (i.e. from f:\tools\bin) then I'm able to create
> files without any problem - so I'm not sure why I get this error when
> using the tools I'm working with ...

As Brian pointed out, you don't have a mount table.  AFAIK, for Windows to
be usable at all, at least the user registry should be writeable, so
nothing prevents you from adding user mounts.  Try

mount -u -b f:/tools /
mount -u -b f:/tools/bin /usr/bin
mount -u -b f:/tools/lib /usr/lib
mount -u -b c:/temp /tmp

(the first three are needed for Cygwin to function properly, the last one
can be changed to point to a local directory that you have write access
to, unless you want a shared /tmp).
HTH,
	Igor
--