Re: Windows 98 + OpenSSH + cygwin

David Di Biase wrote:

> Since there are no services I need to setup the system through another
> mean, except I'm very limited on my 98 knowledge. Does anyone happen
> to have a solution?

Since 98 has no concept of a service or users you start sshd in the
normal way.  After running ssh-host-config you should be able to just
run /usr/sbin/sshd from a prompt - it will daemonize itself, you
shouldn't have to use "&" or nohup etc.  That's pretty much it.  If you
want it to automatically start you'll have to add it to the registry
autorun key or to the startup group, or something along those lines.

If you want to use password authentication you'll need to use the
'crypt' utility to set the second field in /etc/passwd to the desired
hash.  Public-key auth should work the same as a normal NT or *nix
system.

I have to say though that sshd with win98 is probably not extensively
tested, so I wouldn't be surprised if you run into some issues.  Though
it might work fine.  Security-wise though it's kind of like adding a
deadbolt to a door made out of thin balsa wood.

Brian